Thursday, October 9

Small Circles Indeed


I just finished reading F. H. Batacan's Smaller and Smaller Circles, and I must say, it is a book that most of us can be proud of. The story setting was cool, the protagonists unconventional, and the overall pacing was fast and exciting. What's also most interesting about it is that it is set in the most unlikely of all places that a serial killer would be lurking in, the very infamous Payatas Dumpsite. You'd be surprised how the author was able to capture the Western style of writing suspense thrillers involving serial killers and forensics yet still retaining a sense of Filipino style of writing. The characters in some parts of the story even spoke in French, which just proves the high level of intelligence the writer has, which would also prove that our new generation of writers have truly evolved and that we are on the verge of new literary ventures. I just hope that in time we can write our own story in the form of CyberPunk. If you don't know what that is, try reading Ghost in the Shell. Well, I guess that's all I can say, atleast for now. I'm still trying to finish other literary works that were created by our very own breed of Filipino writers (Budjette Tan's Trese and Arnold Arre's Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat). I'm also currently looking for a copy of Arre's Mythology Class and After Eden. So I guess I'll end this post here, and I'll probably be back after I finish reading. 'Till next we scribble.


XOXO =)

1 comments:

Budjette said...

Hi there!

Thank you for leaving that note in the TRESE site!

Really glad you liked our tour of the dimly-lit side of Manila.

From the looks of it, the third book will be sometime January or February of next year. Hope it will be worth the wait.

About your comment about Pinoys writing cyberpunk stories, you might want to check out these two stories by David Hontiveros:

1
http://iguana5legs.blogspot.com/2004/08/berto-on-corner-of-ayala-and-makati.html

2
http://www.geocities.com/phil_stories/hontiveros_seroks

enjoy!

--budjette